Friday, April 13, 2012

View of Dot Dot's Garden

In a former post, I told of getting some passion fruit vines from our dear friend Dot Dot. I don't know whether my passion fruit vines will make it. They look pretty weak so far. Here's hoping.

But I had the opportunity to walk around her garden with her today. 

This is an overview of the front yard. She didn't know I was coming.
It always looks this good. 

Here is an overview of the back yard. 

This is her husband's plot of ground. He caged it to keep the
birds out of his tomatoes.
She has about 400 day lilies. I don't know how many gladiloli she has. I forgot to ask, but she has little clumps of them all over her yard.

I asked her what her favorite plant of all the ones she has is. She said that she really doesn't know. She loves her glads, she loves her day lilies, she loves her hydrangeas and hibiscus. 

I asked her to name her favorite day lily. The one that is blooming. 

I asked why she stopped buying day lilies. She said that she and a friend would shop for them together. They would buy one and split it so that each of them could have one in her yard. A few years ago, they just stopped.

"Why?" "There was no more room to plant them."

On a side note, her husband's garden is a new arrival. He has only been gardening for 3 years. He asked his wife for more of the yard for his garden. She said "No." 

I will leave you with a few close ups of some of her beautiful flowers.

blooming day lilies

blooming day lily

almost finished blooming amaryllis lily


4 comments:

  1. Very nice, dot dot has got some skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. She really is a very skilled gardener.

      Delete
  2. How immaculate is that, my garden is more...well...rustic would be a nice way of describing it, a mess would probably be more accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, Liz. Her garden is in a neighborhood where all the neighbors only have grass. And then you get to her yard. It's just an oasis of beauty.

      You can see from the one picture that her husband, though a great gardener who produces lots of food, doesn't keep it the way she does. (That's probably the real reason he doesn't get more space.)

      Delete